The RTP® (Real-Time Payments) Credit Transfer Message API allows applications to securely originate payment requests at any time. With instant access to payments, you can create and manage account transactions with greater speed and efficiency.
- Send transfers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Retrieve submitted real-time payment details and status, improving receivables reconciliation.
- Subscribe to receive notifications via webhooks for specific events.
- Test API features in a sandbox environment by adding it to a project.
Example use cases
Transfer funds within seconds
Your customer had dinner with a few friends and instead of receiving separate checks, the bill was returned under one tab. Using a third-party application, the customer instantly transfers money from a U.S. Bank checking account to a friend who paid for dinner. Behind the transaction, the RTP® Credit Transfer Message API is used to communicate with the third-party app that sends money from the customer to the friend.
Retrieve submitted real-time payment details and status
A customer service representative for an online retailer received a call from a customer who was charged twice for a single purchase. The customer asked for a refund. After completing some research to confirm the transaction was duplicated, the customer service representative initiates a refund through the company’s recently upgraded system. By using the RTP® Credit Transfer Message API, the system can process and send an instant refund back to the customer.
Originate payments with remittance information
A developer team for a ridesharing company recently implemented the RTP® Credit Transfer Message API. Now, part-time drivers for this company can receive daily payments from their customers. This option ensures a timely receipt of pay for the daily drive work they complete. The developer team is proud they implemented RTP® in their payroll system.
- Transaction limit is $1 million per transaction.
- The receiving bank must be part of the RTP® network.
- Originated credit transfer messages are irrevocable.
- Credit push only.